Saturday, June 13, 2009

Retreat for leaders by Father Rufus Pereira from India

Son and I just got back from a three day retreat with the internationally respected Catholic priest and exorcist, Fr Rufus Pereira of Mumbai, India. About 300 participants from throughout Sarawak came to the Catholic Pastoral Centre at Kemuyang, Sibu, to join the retreat from 9-12 June 2009.

Fr Rufus is especially dear to us from Miri diocese as he was instrumental in giving birth to the renewal movement in the diocese way back in 1979, at a retreat held for the Bishop and priests. Filled with the Holy Spirit from the retreat, Bishop Anthony Lee began the revival of the diocese, invoking Pentecost on all parishes through the Life In Spirit Seminars. The Holy Spirit is working more than ever and in Bintulu, the Catholic community is vibrant, growing every year since the last decade, with the baptism of about 300-400 catechumens annually. Our parish has 71 cell groups and we have evangelization, RCIA (right of Christian initiation as adults), family apostolate, youth, Sunday school and benevolent activities ministries.

Fr Rufus has been involved with the charismatic renewal since 1972 and today through his ministry of healing and deliverance, has become India's foremost Catholic evangelist. He is a columnist for Holy Spirit Interactive and editor of Charisindia you may refer online for these sites). He is the Vice President of the International Ministry of Healing & Deliverance.

Fr Rufus has been given by the Holy Spirit many gifts and the Lord worked many miracles through Fr Rufus. Through him the holy Spirit healed a leper boy who later became a preacher, delivered many from possession by the devil, healed paralytics, enabled barren women to conceive, caused many conversion of hearts and many other marvels. However, as he told us, we must seek spiritual healing first, then physical healing will flow through it (Mathew 6:33: Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all of these things shall be given unto you").

What spiritual healing is required? As sinful as we are, what is there not to heal? We sloth, we lust, we are full of anger, full of pride, we are envious, greedy, and a glutton.... Or we or our ancestors could have been involved in occult practices, this requires deliverance..

It was for me and most of our group from Bintulu (about 40 of us) a spiritual journey and a joyous encounter with the Holy Spirit. I was lucky to be counselled by Fr Rufus personally and both my son and I were "slain" by the Spirit - a few seconds after Fr Rufus prayed over me, I became weak and folded, caught by the assistants and laid on my back. I was conscious, I could feel a warm rush from my calves going upwards to my head, especially felt at the back of my head. There was this restful feeling, and peace came over me. I don't know how long I rested in the Spirit before I sat down and got up. Jud who was beside me also got slain and she cried loudly, cries of repentance, cries of healing. There were those who suffer from serious cases of possession and you could see some resisting the Holy Spirit, they shouted, they jumped, they turned their faces away from Fr Rufus....then they were those who were healed from the pain of rejection, guilt, etc....we were awed by the mighty workings of the Holy Spirit through His servant Fr Rufus. Praise the Lord, alleluia!

Fr Rufus reminded us that we have been renewed and now sent forth to proclaim the good news!!


The Lord's servant, Fr Rufus in action: healing and deliverance
Fr Rufus in action: note those being healed by the Holy Spirit, flat on their backs.
My kaban, Beka, being healed by the Holy Spirit, or as we Catholics call it "slain" (resting in the Spirit)..
Blogger's snapshot with Father Rufus Pereira
Group picture
Beka, Jud & Richard and Fr. Rufus
My friends, Pat (Igat's godmother) and Clare.
Sisters in Christ: Jud (Judy Stephen), Beka (Rebeccca Bana) and me
Brethren in Christ: Dot (Dorothy Adrian), Jud, Alex (Ali Basah), Jo (Josephine Joseph) and me.
At the mass and faith rally, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Sibu on 11 June 2009.

No comments: